Package Checking - Basic
Format and Duration:
- Handbook 130 and Handbook 133 are available here.
The examination consists of three timed sections and will include a total of 50 questions as described below. All three sections of the exam must be completed in one session and the candidate may not log off and return to the exam at a later time. Each section must be completed before moving to the next section of the exam. Once a section has been completed, the individual may not return to a previously submitted section.
The examination is to be taken alone, without assistance from any other individual. The exam is OPEN BOOK as follows: The candidate may access unmarked copies of the current versions of Handbook 133 and Handbook 130. Specifically Section III.A. Uniform Weights and Measures Law and Section IV.A. Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulation. If physical copies are not readily available, the previous PDF links may be opened on the computer to take the exam and may be accessed during the test. The proctor will ensure the correct file is downloaded. Candidates are encouraged to download and familiarize themselves with the PDF file in advance of taking the test.
Test instructions are provided online prior to starting the exam. Since the test is electronically graded, the answer must be marked or typed correctly. The test questions for this exam will be primarily multiple-choice format with some short answer and compliance/citation format. For multiple-choice questions, you will be asked to pick the best answer from four options by clicking the button before your selected answer. For short answer questions, you must enter the specific answer, typed correctly. For compliance/citation questions, you will be given information describing a situation and asked to assess compliance. Answer “yes” if the situation complies based on the information provided, otherwise provide the specific legal citation if the device does not comply. The form of the citation will typically be something like S.X.X. for a specification, T.X.X. for a tolerance, or UR.X.X. for a user requirement. There is a short practice test to familiarize you with the exam environment and ensure that these basic rules for responses are understood.
Subject of Examination:
1. Module 5.3.1 Commodities - General | 20 questions (35 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the proper application of the procedures in Handbook 133, knowledge, understanding and ability to apply the basic requirements applicable to net contents declarations, understanding and ability to apply sampling plans, understanding of responsibility of other government agencies in net contents compliance, and the use of good measurement practices in tests of packaged goods.
2. Module 5.3.2 Packages Labeled by Weight, Standard and Random | 15 questions (40 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the procedures specified in Handbook 133 for testing packages labeled by net weight, understanding and ability to select appropriate measuring equipment for use in gravimetric tests and ability to verify the equipment prior to use, ability to apply the appropriate gravimetric test procedures to standard packages and random packages, and ability to evaluate compliance based on the test results obtained.
3. Module 5.3.4 Packages Labeled by Volume, Volumetric, and Gravimetric | 15 questions (45 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the procedures (both gravimetric and volumetric) specified in Handbook 133 for testing packages labeled by liquid volume, understanding and ability to select appropriate measuring equipment for use in volumetric tests and ability to verify the equipment prior to use, ability to apply the appropriate gravimetric test procedures or the appropriate volumetric procedures, and ability to evaluate compliance based on the test results obtained.
Passing Score and Grading:
- 70% (35 or more correct answers)
- Following the completion of the examination or upon reaching the time limit for the third section, you will receive a total score for the exam and a pass/fail statement for each section. To protect the integrity of the test questions, NCWM will not advise you of the specific questions you answered incorrectly. The Professional Development Committee will be reviewing incorrect answers in periodic reviews and will adjust scores in select cases if a question is judged invalid. NCWM will notify you if your score is affected.
- If you wish to challenge any of the questions, you may contact the NCWM Professional Development Committee through NCWM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (402) 434-4880.
- A certification issued under this program is valid for five (5) years.