Exam - Professional - RMFD
Retail Motor-Fuel Dispensing Systems
Format and Duration:
- Handbook 44 is available here.
The examination consists of three timed sections and will include a total of 50 questions as described below. All three sections of the exam must be completed in one session and the candidate may not log off and return to the exam at a later time. Each section must be completed before moving to the next section of the exam. Once a section has been completed, the individual may not return to a previously submitted section.
The examination is to be taken alone, without assistance from any other individual. The exam is OPEN BOOK as follows: The candidate may access unmarked copies of the current versions of Handbook 44 and Handbook 112, specifically:
- EPO 21 - Retail Motor-Fuel Dispensers
- EPO 22 - Retail Motor-Fuel Dispensers Blended Retail Motor-Fuel Dispensers Blended
If physical copies are not readily available, the previous PDF links may be opened on the computer to take the exam and may be accessed during the test. The proctor will ensure the correct file is downloaded. Candidates are encouraged to download and familiarize themselves with the PDF file in advance of taking the test.
Test instructions are provided online prior to starting the exam. Since the test is electronically graded, the answer must be marked or typed correctly. The test questions will be either multiple-choice, short answer, or compliance/citation. For multiple-choice questions, you will be asked to pick the best answer from four options. For short answer questions, you must enter the specific answer, typed correctly. For compliance/citation questions, you will be given information describing a situation and asked to assess compliance. Answer “yes” if the situation complies based on the information provided, otherwise provide the specific citation if the device does not comply. The form of the citation will typically be something like S.X.X. for a specification, T.X.X. for a tolerance, or UR.X.X. for a user requirement. There is a short practice test to familiarize you with the exam environment and ensure that these basic rules for responses are understood.
Subject of Examination:
1. Module 4.2. Introduction to Device Control | 15 questions (30 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge, understanding, and ability to apply the basic requirements applicable to all weighing and measuring devices. This may include questions on the selection, care and use of standards, the legal basis of Handbook 44, the organization of that handbook, understanding of Fundamental Considerations, knowledge of systems of measurement units, understanding and application of General Code requirements, and understanding of NTEP and Certificates of Conformance.
2. Module 4.4. Dynamic Measuring Systems - General | 15 questions (35 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the basic technologies used in liquid measuring devices (LMD), understanding of classification of various LMD, ability to operate LMD and interpret indications, understanding and ability to apply code requirements from Handbook 44 LMD Code, and understanding and ability to conduct basic tests of LMD and properly apply tolerances.
3. Module 4.4.1. Retail Motor Fuel Dispenser Systems (RMFD) | 20 questions (55 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the basic technologies used in RMFD systems, understanding and ability to apply code requirements from Handbook 44, LMD Code to RMFD systems, and understanding and ability to conduct basic tests of RMFDs and properly apply tolerances.
Passing Score and Grading:
- 70% (35 or more correct answers)
- Following the completion of the examination or upon reaching the time limit for the third section, you will receive a total score for the exam and a pass/fail statement for each section. To protect the integrity of the test questions, NCWM will not advise you of the specific questions you answered incorrectly. The Professional Development Committee will be reviewing incorrect answers in periodic reviews and will adjust scores in select cases if a question is judged invalid. NCWM will notify you if your score is affected.
- If you wish to challenge any of the questions, you may contact the NCWM Professional Development Committee through NCWM via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (402) 434-4880.
- A certification issued under this program is valid for five (5) years.