Exam - Basic - Measuring
Basic Competency Exam - Measuring
The NCWM Professional Certification Program provides assurance that an individual has a working knowledge of the U.S. standards for weights and measures as adopted by the NCWM. Certification is available to any individual, whether from the public or private sector whose profession requires thorough understanding of the national weights and measures standards. The Basic Competency Exam – Measuring will draw on relevant portions of Handbook 44. In preparing the exam, NCWM has tried to be consistent with the Examination Procedure Outlines (EPO’s) for the types of devices covered in this exam.
For the purposes of this exam, measuring is limited to liquid measuring devices covered in the Liquid Measuring Devices Code and the Vehicle-Tank Meters Code in Handbook 44. This may include motor fuel dispensers (both blended product and non-blended product), stationary meters, and vehicle-tank meter systems in various applications.
Format and Duration:
The examination consists of two timed sections and will include a total of 30 questions as described below. The two sections of the exam must be completed in one session and the candidate may not log off and return to the exam at a later time. Each section must be completed before moving to the next section of the exam. Once a section has been completed, the individual may not return to a previously submitted section.
The exam is OPEN BOOK. The candidate may access an unmarked copy of Handbook 44 while taking the exam. You may be asked to perform computations as part of the exam and may use a hand-held calculator. The time counter will continue to run while accessing Handbook 44 or performing calculations. The examination is to be taken alone, without assistance from any other individual.
Test instructions are provided online prior to starting the exam. Since the test is electronically graded, the answer must be marked or typed correctly. The test questions will be multiple-choice or short answer. For multiple-choice questions, you will be asked to pick the best answer from four options by clicking the button before your selected answer. For short answer questions, you must enter the specific answer, typed correctly. There is a short practice test to familiarize you with the exam environment and ensure that these basic rules for responses are understood.
Subject of Examination:
1. Module 7.1 Basic Competency - Handbook 44 | 12 questions (20 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge, understanding, and ability to apply the basic requirements applicable to all weighing and measuring devices. This may include questions on the selection, care and use of standards, the legal basis of Handbook 44, the organization of that handbook, understanding of Fundamental Considerations, knowledge of systems of measurement units, understanding and application of General Code requirements, and understanding of NTEP and Certificates of Conformance.
2. Module 7.3 Basic Competency - Volume Measuring Devices | 18 questions (40 minute time limit)
These questions test for knowledge and understanding of the basic technologies used in liquid measuring devices generally, understanding of classification of liquid measuring devices, ability to operate liquid measuring devices and interpret indications, understanding of and ability to apply technical and user requirements from the following Handbook 44 (Codes 3.30 Liquid Measuring Devices and 3.31 Vehicle-Tank Meters) and understanding and ability to conduct basic tests of liquid measuring devices, and properly apply tolerances.
Passing Score and Grading:
- 70% (21 or more correct answers)
- Following the completion of the examination or upon reaching the time limit for the third section, you will receive a score for each section and a total score. To protect the integrity of the test questions, NCWM will not advise you of the specific questions you answered incorrectly. The Professional Development Committee will be reviewing incorrect answers in periodic reviews and will adjust scores in select cases if a question is judged invalid. NCWM will notify if your score is affected.
- If you wish to challenge any of the questions, there will be a section at the end of the examination where you can offer comments. You may also contact the NCWM Professional Development Committee through NCWM via email@example.com or call (402) 434-4880.
- A certification issued under this program is valid for five (5) years.